As someone who has many years of practical experience delivering projects, I was not convinced that I needed a project management qualification! However, a good friend and unofficial mentor (also my former boss in Aspira, Pat Lucey) convinced me that not every organisation would rate my practical project management experience as highly as I do. In fact, practical project management experience can sometimes be highly valued within the organisation it has been gained in, but less so outside that organisation. What I have seen in the last few years is that employers want their people to have both practical experience and relevant project management qualifications.
So why is practical project management experience important to a potential employer?
- While project management theory will give you understanding, it is often practical project management experience that guides you to take the correct action and lead your project to success. Experience teaches you about how to apply learnings to produce favourable outcomes. In the words of Albert Einstein “The only source of knowledge is experience”
- Employers will potentially see you as having the battle scars to overcome project challenges and succeed. It may also take less time to train you in or onboard you!
- If you have been in an industry for a few years, it shows your commitment and that you are less likely to jump ship and abandon your project.
4. Practical project management experience may allow you to differentiate yourself from others and stand out from the crowd.
Why is having a PMP qualification important to a potential employer?
- It adds credibility to your skills. As a holder of the PMP certification, this signals to potential employers that you are a professional in the project management space and can be trusted to deliver projects using proven methodologies. A PMP qualification is often seen as “definite proof” of your abilities and skills.
- A PMP course can help you not only learn a lot of new skills regarding the project management profession, but our PMP courses also expand the way in which you learn and achieve growth. Our PMP courses function as a catalyst for you to keep growing and working your way to the top of the project management profession, which is not only great for you but also exactly what a potential employer will want.
- As a PMI ATP, our PMP courses use approved PMI course content. The PMI is always up to date with the latest changes and trends in the rapidly changing industry. Our PMP course’s content is constantly updated and upgraded based on the current industry best practices, which means that you will learn about the newest project management trends.
- In project management-oriented employment (PMOE), the PMI has been reporting since 2008 that globally, there is a gap between the demand for project management skills and the availability of talent. This gap has been caused by an increase in the number of jobs requiring project management-oriented skills, a higher demand for project professionals in emerging and developing countries due to economic growth, and the rate of retirement from the workforce. A PMP qualification is the easiest way to demonstrate to a potential employer that you have the required skills and talent to implement strategic initiatives on time and within budget.
- The PMP qualification is viewed as a risk reducer for employers. Think of all the projects that fail or come in over budget or late. For most companies, any major project, especially ones that are company-wide, comes with huge risks. Project managers who have earned their PMP certification have learned the strategies that lead to project success. Those who pass the PMP certification exam can prove that they have a thorough understanding of how to manage projects, ensuring they are completed on time and on budget, and hence reduce the risk to an organisation.
Gaining your PMP credential is a great way to support your employer, but it’s also great for you! It increases your marketability, can lead to a higher salary and great career progression prospects, allows you to establish influential relationships in the PMI chapters, and gives you the confidence to take on any project in any industry!
Are you ready to earn the PMP certification? If so, contact firstname.lastname@example.org today for more information on the range of course options we have available.
Starting a new job can be a daunting task. Returning to work after a career break is even more so. People take career breaks for a variety of reasons, but
As someone who has many years of practical experience delivering projects, I was not convinced that I needed a project management qualification! However, a good friend and unofficial mentor (also
Communication is the foundation of project management and the lifeblood of any project. In recent years the need for the rapid development of new program innovations has become a major
Tech Resourcing Services
Drawing on our expertise, our team can easily understand your requirements, cut through the jargon to bring clear and real prospective candidates to your door quickly, saving your team critical time to concentrate on real business needs. We pride ourselves on providing robust and agile, tailor-made services to effectively and efficiently meet the needs of each individual client, regardless of search requirements or location.