Organisations are facing significant events and uncertainties such as GDPR, Brexit, adoption of Artificial Intelligence and President Trump’s new America. These uncertainties give rise to a dilemma for established businesses. Should they adopt transformation programs within their organisations and risk cannibalising existing profits, or should they preserve what has made their organisation great?
Many organisations are opting for major transformation programmes in pursuit of competitive advantage. These programmes may require a shift in strategy, structures, systems, processes and culture while maintaining critical assets.
So if you are considering such a transformation, you need to ask yourself:
- How widespread is the required scope of change – does it affect the entire organisation or is it concerned only with a particular division?
- Who are the stakeholders that can have a positive or negative influence on the transformation? Who are the people you need to engage with?
- Do employees see the need for the transformation and understand the importance of the change? In times of change, our autopilot mode stops working – choices suddenly proliferate, decisions need to be made – and this creates uncertainty. Sometimes what looks like resistance is often a lack of clarity. So you need to create clarity by communicating a compelling vision with a real sense of urgency.
- Are you communicating for buy-in? Organisations need to appeal to employees emotional side, ‘find the feeling’ and make people feel something. People must feel they are capable of change and need to be encouraged to accept the challenges the transformation brings despite the complexity and risks.
- How much time does the organisation have to achieve this transformation? A realistic schedule with clear deliverables and milestones will be required to shape the path and provide the plan for action. Achievement of these milestones will create short-term wins and build confidence and momentum for change within the team.
Sustaining competitive advantage has never been more challenging, and the stakes have never been higher. That means you have a tremendous opportunity. By making the right big-picture, strategic decisions, you can chart your company’s course amid great uncertainty.
Aspira consulting services can help you navigate this complex environment. Our clients’ testimonials demonstrate the value of strategic input in realising their vision.
Contact us now for free consultation at email@example.com
Author: Norma Lynch, Training Manager, Aspira.