INFLUENCE WITHOUT AUTHORITY
Project managers encounter many challenges in the pursuit of successful completion of objectives. Among the challenges is the strong possibility of working with stakeholders who you may have no formal authority over, but the project success hinges on their cooperation with you. Understanding how to navigate the matrix environment and build relationships with key stakeholders comprises a constellation of capabilities from networking and coalition building to persuading and negotiating. This course provides you with the skills and tools to influence without authority.
The Matrix Organisation
- The role of the project manager in a Matrix Environment.
- The Balance of power – expert versus positional.
- Identifying your stakeholders.
- Prioritising your stakeholders using the power/interest grid.
- Analysing your stakeholders using the Stakeholder Engagement Assessment Matrix.
- Control stakeholder engagement.
Six Principles of Influence
- Principle of reciprocity – people are obliged to give back to others the form of a behavior, gift, or service that they have received first.
- Principle of scarcity – people want more of those things they can have less of.
- Principle of authority – people follow the lead of credible, knowledgeable experts.
- Principle of consistency – People like to be consistent with the things they have previously said or done.
- Principle of liking – People prefer to say yes to those that they like.
- Principle of consensus – People will look to the actions and behaviours of others to determine their own.
Communication & Negotiation Skills
- Why is it important to talk the talk?
- The words we use.
- Keeping your audience in mind.
- Communicating the message.
- Negotiation styles & strategies.
- Building trust.
- Establishing credibility through projecting warmth and declaring your intent.
- Demonstrating competence through projecting strength.
This course is targeted at project managers and project team members.
List of available dates for the Influence without Authority course:
17th April 2019 Cork
All our Project Management courses are fully aligned with PMBOK® Guide 6th Edition and are led by Pat Lucey, CEO of Aspira & President of Project Management Institute (PMI) Ireland Chapter.
The Project Management Professional (PMP) is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
The Project Management Book of Knowledge (PMBOK) is a registered trademark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.